Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2020 9:05 pm  #1

Question...

I was having a discussion with some people about anthropology and the specific discussion came up about Shamanism. They were saying that the word Shamanism comes from the indigenous people of Siberia, which is correct no issue here but I was wondering if other indigenous people were okay with anthropologists using a word to portray an another practice of animism but from a group of people with a totally different cultural background.

So, I am really curious. Would anybody be willing to translate Shaman and Shamanism for me in your native tongue? If you happen to, please tell me from what tribe.

Thanks!

4/06/2020 7:14 pm  #2

Re: Question...

In the contemporary modern world the word "Shaman" is used to label medicine man and other spiritual practitioners.It is just a go to word. "Hatallii" is Navajo word for shaman or singer.

4/07/2020 4:35 pm  #3

Thunderbow wrote:

In the contemporary modern world the word "Shaman" is used to label medicine man and other spiritual practitioners.It is just a go to word. "Hatallii" is Navajo word for shaman or singer.

So, Hatallii means shaman or singer. Would that have to be because the Shaman would sing using vocals during any ceremony or ritual etc?

4/08/2020 8:18 am  #4

Aoo' along with drums rattles, and other things like a eagle bone whistle.

4/08/2020 1:25 pm  #5

Thunderbow wrote:

Aoo' along with drums rattles, and other things like a eagle bone whistle.

I've never heard of an eagle bone whistle before, I felt a great sacredness when I first read that.

Board footera