Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2019 12:28 pm  #1

The Flowering Tree

Cheyenne Ledger Painting:

http://stormrunneraz.tripod.com/flowering_tree.jpg

Showing a complex spiritual psychological cultural system among the Plains People. Can anyone interpret this painting?

12/13/2019 7:45 pm  #2

Re: The Flowering Tree

The idea of a Ledger painting by the Cheyenne was to show their triumph and victories from battle. Typically. This ledger painting is quite esoteric. Those who know what those symbols mean would be able to decipher the overall meaning of the drawing. Very beautifully drawn as well... 

Does the ledger itself have any clues to it? Would you be able to get me a super high quality photo of it, unfortunately the words blur when I enlarge it and a clue might be hidden within... Especially that signature under the back hooves of the horse, it is aligned with the drawing...

Also, why is the title of this thread "The Flowering Tree", and how is that associated with it? Is that written on the ledger or do you have some vocal lore about it?

I would be happy to look into this for you and I'll let you know what I find!

Last edited by Sangeroth (12/13/2019 7:47 pm)

12/14/2019 9:16 am  #3

Re: The Flowering Tree

The Cheyenne had a very complex Spiritual/Psychological belief system. This drawing shows the artist Vision Quest of introspection and his resulting illuminations. Just like what you done for yourself! That is why I posted this in my reply.The symboles are many here and are complex. The black horse means a journey of introspection. The sun shows his illumination while on his journey. The forked staff shows the mirroring in ourselves and how we mirror the universe and other people in ourselves.The seven blue spots on the neck of the horse shows Seven Arrows and how Seven Arrows mirrors our learning. The Flowering Tree is ones learning and growing.

Board footera