Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2016 1:11 pm  #1

The Sun Dance

I got to thinking about this particular ritual.  When I was in Canada  I was in Jasper and  I went to a NAI  museum of the Lakota   people..   Lot of drums and genuine clothing from the last 200 years or so.  The thing I was drawn to was a montage of the Sun dancers. They fasted and danced to a drum beat and chanting. They   danced with large hookd attached to leather thongs  tied to a tall tripod of lodge poles.. the other end of thethongs had the large hooks that pierce the skin of their chest and arms..
They danced around taking the weight on the hooks, they kept on until they fell exhausted  from the blood loss ,  collapsing to the earth and the hooks tore from the flesh.. They did not seem to feel the pain and they did have their visons..

So I concluded the dance was a form of a Shamanic journey.. The Dance was always performed by the men only, in a holy place away from the  camps.     The women were the ones who tended the wounds of the men with native medicune salves and Willow bark teea. The wounds formed thick scar tissue and its a wonder they survived how many times they did this...

In case you wondered the Sun Dance ceremony is still going today except it is now open to women and evenchildren take part in the preparations.. It is not just the Lakota, its any Plains indians.. Its being used as a way back to the spirituality that was stolen from them 200 years ago..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (9/06/2016 4:19 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

9/05/2016 4:46 pm  #2

Re: The Sun Dance

I had  not seen that dance but in the town nearest to me peruvian indians use to perform dances especially the rain dance, i looked at them they said you dont like the dance do you. so i said its not the dance its the RAIN dance they just laughed,everytime they saw me.they would start doing the rain dance.the people were gathering around giving money and clapping i didnt this one guy asked why i wasnt clapping so they told him i dont like the rain. they wore full regalia then they said this is just for you it was the sun dance

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

9/06/2016 4:24 am  #3

I have not been to PeruI was due to go with a friend but it was cancelled as she got a teaching job in Indonesia instead..    I think we need your Rain Dancers here lol its all pretty parched and will tale a long time to recover now..  Feel free to tell us about the Rain Dance, I might give it a go lol.http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

9/06/2016 1:24 pm  #4

The book Seven Arrows by H Storm gives a good account of the Old Sun Dance, and how it changed with the coming of the Indian Wars.

9/06/2016 4:38 pm  #5

Maybe after the next op I might be able to read a book again..  I am halfway thru 'Bury my heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown..

Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera