Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2016 1:41 pm  #1

Do you think Recycling is one of the keys to saving the Earth?

I have travelled around a lot abroad and in the Uk we have to recycle our trash.. We have to separate bottles,cans plastic and cardboard from non recycylable trash..  If we dispose of oil from our vehicles it has to go to a disposal depot. The same goes for old freezers and fridges so the coolant can be safely disposed off..  If we make a mistake in putting the wrong thing in the bins etc they can slap a fine on us.. 

They say it is to save the planet.. Our plastic substitues have to biodegrade within a certain time period often before I get the chance to use them lol...  Even synthetic gardening gloves biodegrade if I left them out in the sun...Even our glass is recycled.
Our toilets all have dual flushes to save water.. We have water meters to make us more aware of our consumption.  Our vehicle exhaust emissons are very strict and gas guzzling 4x4's are loaded big time...
Our electrical products have to be energy efficient....

Yet when I travel to the USa or Canada it seems no  onoe does this.. All the hotels seem to use styrofoam cups and plates and plastic cutlery for breakfast buffets...  Think of the time this will sit on a trash heap and never biodegrade..  They do not appear to recycle, packaging is on every thing and its card or plastic, the toilet cysterns are a massive volume, not a mini flush in sight. They stilll put nasties in aerosol cans whilst ours have either a CFC free gas or a product with a pump spray..  No Idea what happens to your old fridges etc apart from the dumped ones. on the road side..  And you drive things like Hummers ...  So what are the USA and Canada doing to help the planet????  Do people in the western world think everyone else should do it but not them...   Are we knocking our heads against a brick wall??

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (9/05/2016 1:50 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

9/05/2016 2:08 pm  #2

Re: Do you think Recycling is one of the keys to saving the Earth?

They must be more strict your neck of the woods than here,if a glass bottle has been put in the recycling with plastic they say its contamination,which is a load of rubbish in itself.most of the recycling gets dumped without being sorted anyway,
 i could have a water meter if i wanted one but i refused ,its ok if you live alone or just a couple but if you have a family it works out a lot more. fridges and freezers that are no longer in use you can take to a skip and they will get rid of it for you,
 my recycling didnt get taken last week i saw them passing so i stopped them i asked them why because it wasnt on the curb,i said if you had a brain you would be dangerous putting it on a curb people passing would knock it into the road,
so they said we are not emptying it,i said either you do it now or you will come back and do it and i dont care how far you have gone,so they said make us,i said you shouldnt have said that so i phoned their boss told them who i was and he sent them back,jumped up little nobodys they were,
you should have seen their faces .next door has got cowboys working on her house they call themselves builders so her recycling wasnt emptied today because the cowboys put plastic sheeting in her recycling.on the phone i go they will be out tomorrow. you pay for a service you dont get it yet they take your money.its fraud i get them always. i dont let them get away with it, but a lot of the rules came in because of the EU. we are no longer in the eu let them keep their stupid rules

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

9/06/2016 4:50 am  #3

Yes we have 'Jobs worth types here too. I have a box for glass they have not collected it for 2 months.. They often leave the black sack too and it takes me a month to even get a 1/3 of a bag of that one..  Next doorFridge freezer has been sitting against my garden fence for 5 months!!!   So they do not care I have reported it 4 times now..  They do nothing... 
The recycling issue is different from town to town, country to country..  When I was sailing in the greek islands the biggest problem was plastic water botles...every bim over flowed with them..  

Yet if you go to Cornwall in England the Eden Project recycle plastic bottle,theymake flowers out of them and mobiles and wind mills even..  Nessecity is the mother of Invention..  I was at a conference a while ago and the pads were recycled paper and the pencil were made from a plastic  drink cup!! 
So things can be done..   
We are still in the EU until the PM invokes Article 50 to exit us...   The local authorities still make us recycle and they sell it on, of course no money comes back to us ever...
  But I still do not understand why USA doesn't seem to care and in China people have to wear face masks because of the high pollution levels from vehicle exhaust emmissions and industrial pollution..Just crazy...

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (9/06/2016 4:55 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

9/06/2016 1:17 pm  #4

In America we have recycling programs and bins. In the National Parks it is more evident. The recycling industry here is booming. Cardboard and paper is the biggest industry.There are also plants that recycle plastics. We can extend the life of non-renewable resources. But still, a money orientated culture is not sustainable in the log term. We will still pollute.

9/06/2016 2:09 pm  #5

I have to agree with you Thunder Bow man will always destroy  by polluting lakes oceans etc look at the oil spill going on,the fight between the Natives and construction workers in dakota because they want to lay pipe lines through sacred grounds, man is selfish

9/06/2016 2:32 pm  #6

Well I am glad something has been started, it was not evident the last time I was there..
I was on a health sectionof the net just now and there was a Medical article that said that Evidence of pollutants have been discovered in the human brain at post mortum examination... So they really are hell bent on killing us all..

Nicholas Black Elk

9/06/2016 2:49 pm  #7

Yeah i read about that also but its like i have always said man is selfish what he cant have he destroys

9/06/2016 9:46 pm  #8

We have a pretty robust recycling program where I live.  The City recycles everything pretty much.  You can pay for weekly pick up, but there is a recycling center you can take your sorted stuff with you.  We used to have a lot of dumpsters all over town for recycling, but they got pulled because people were dumping trash in them.  There was an issue with the local waste collection service just dumping recycling in the landfill. They got got and that stopped.  It's hard to recycle certain types of plastic recycling.  There are points for batteries, tin cans, paper and most plastics.  It's all voluntary.  In recent years it has become more common to push for recycling.  I get my oil changes done at a shop since I hate doing it, I have no idea what they do with the oil from a technical standpoint.  They are a legitimate business so it is properly stored and recycled.  It does not go bad, just gets dirty.  SUV's and other gas guzzling vehicles are pretty common, more as a side effect of cheapish gas.  I just web searched English gas prices at 1.34 USD a litre, as I just filled up for 2.30 a gallon.  Which would be roughly 5.36 pounds per gallon.  I drive a fuel efficient vehicle and will eventually be driving an electric vehicle when I can afford one, the good ones are a bit pricey.  I do not do a lot of needless driving, but I have to do a lot of it.  We have weird laws around alternative energy sources.  This is pushed by various politically connected groups to try and keep things like solar panels and wind energy from taking people off the grid or even worse producing excess electricity and them having to pay you for it.  Stupid rules about collecting rain water...even for watering plants and such.  Cause it being in a barrel makes it so much different then coming from the sky or whatever.  It's all greed based.  There are not enough programs to promote alternative energy use for people's homes either. That sector is a mess of political bribes and general ignorance.  Quoting events from the 70's as justifications for million dollar liability plans for you to try and reduce your electrical consumption from the power grid.  Which cancels out any savings.  It goes on and on.   

So in a general population of 2 million people around Kansas City that I am part of I would guess that 1% of recyclable matter gets recycled.  Which is sad.  It's higher in the suburbs that spawn a bit more environmental concerns than big cities.  Lots of work to be done, but the momentum is starting.  Recycling is needed to keep things somewhat sustainable.  Reductions of pollutants in general is equally important and it has to be a whole scale effort of the entire world.  

9/07/2016 3:08 am  #9

A full scale effort by the world I agree.. I am shocked at a 1% recycled waste figure.. I thought our local authority figures were dissapointing at 38%... But it is not voluntary here.. I do save raim water, even recycle shower water. for the plants as we always seem to have a hose pipe ban in force. . 

I also have Solar panels on the roof, any excess power is red back to the grid and I do get a payment for this..   I pretty much use the free power during the day.. Running fomestic appliances during the day instead of at night.
The prob;em here are all the different authorities recycling requirements as the enforcability of those regulations.. There are big fines for fly tipping (dumping trash) and lots of groups do not recycle at all!! I found that trash from apartment  blocks goes down a chute  into large dumpsters  they do not separate the different coloured sacks as some burst on impact from falling down the chute.

We have to pay a community charge each year that pays supposedly for the trash collections, public services like Police and Fire Services and the repair and upkeep of our street lighting and  roads..  But we do not see much evidence of it..  The main road  is full of pot holes and resembles a ploughed field, we cannot get any roads repaired properly and a bucket of pebbles tipped into a hole  does not stay put..That is all they did in 5 years..The community charge here is about $1500  per year and that is just for me... A family would pay even more.

Electric cars .. yes I looked into that but  The Car costs a lot even a Nissan Leaf.. There are no recharge points in this area that the public can use, only company cars. The nearest public one is 20 miles away..  Motor way rest stops have a few points but there is never a space to get on one.  If I did buy one, you find out that it runs for 100 miles on one charge, which costs about $2 . But what is in the small print of the contract when you buy a vehicle is the rechargable batteries are big heavy and expensive and we have to pay £400 a month thats about $550 just to rent those!!!..so its not so cheap and It would be cheaper for me to have a taxi everywhere!!

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (9/07/2016 3:15 am)

Nicholas Black Elk

9/07/2016 4:14 am  #10

My community charge is a lot especially when you don't get the services you pay for.The police they are idiots the lot of them.all they employ a cpso community police officers. or as my grandmother called them the plastic police.one came to our meeting (council) he has dark hair he had a white piece I said to him he looked like a skunk.the bin men the lot on there now are just out of nappies they are useless,the amount of complaints ive had because of them is unbelievable. the roads are full of pot holes when they decide to fix it for a small stretch of road they close it down for 4 weeks.i was in a meeting the police  inspector was there so I said to him I wanted advice I knew what he was going to say so I said.a direct debit goes out of your bank/yes he said I said its supposed to pay for services .he looked as if to say where is this leading.so I said that service is not forth coming yet they take your money. so he said that's wrong its theft.so I said you agree its theft the other councellors were looking because they knew where I was leading to/he said yes so I said you have just said in front of us all its theft. yes he said so I said ok go and arrest the town council.he sais why so I said you have just said it was theft.his face went beetroot red. he didn't come again.​

Board footera