Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2015 12:00 pm  #1

What is a Power Animal? What is a Totem Animal? What is the diference?

There is much debate about this. Accusations have flown around abut this on the internet. Is having a power/totem animal a rip off of Native American ways?

4/03/2016 5:20 pm  #2

Re: What is a Power Animal? What is a Totem Animal? What is the diference?

I will argue yes and no.  The bastardized concepts in the New Age tradition are a bit shallow.  In reality those that seek will be given guidance.  This does not change merely due to ones blood line. In my practice and traditions a variety of spirits have become allied with me and my path.  Of those spirits I have a special connection to Red Wolf and Raven.  While journeying in the spirit world red wolf is my guide and Raven brings me information, sometime when asked most of the time when its less likely to be beneficial http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
.   While I keep the names of my spirits secret, red wolf enter into my life after my first vision experience.  I was eleven at the time and with out a connection to a spiritual group I was lost and red wolf guided me.  I had no understanding of native traditions at the time of this event.  Later on when the interment became more of a common tool, I learned that spirit animals were part of some Native traditions.  Raven came to when I was twenty, alone on a meditation retreat.  I remember hearing a Raven cawing in the distance and was suddenly filled with a new presence and the answers to what I was seeking were revealed. They and other spirits that I have connected to have guided me on my journey for as long as I can remember.  Taught me things that I learned, rites of power, rites of healing and cleansing.  They helped forge my connection to the world.  This is very different from the concepts that are attached to the New Age movement as a whole.  Limited expression and understanding of a profound things.  While many spirits are connected and attached to Native peoples, the concepts of the spirits are for all human beings.  Though some spirits prefer to remain connected to the offerings of there chosen people, which is there right.  So I do not feel it as stealing, but merely being brought to attention of a force with in the world.  Many people are seeking something more, a lost disconnect to the world.  A completion that is lacking with the modern consumer driven faiths.  They will be drawn to concepts and seek to explore.  There is a strong sensitivity on these subjects coming up now and is is sad.  People need authentic guides to the spirit world and that knowledge is lacking.  Being forced into the world by my destiny I had to learn a lot of things the hard way.  In some ways I am better for it and in some ways I am not.  Having and experienced guide could very well of taken my path away from what is intended.  Perhaps I was meant to forge my own way with out aid.  Or I could of been further along in my journey then I am now.  There is not real point in worry about is as the path I have walked is the path I have walked and there is no point looking back.

4/06/2016 3:27 pm  #3

Thank you for this thoughtful response.

4/06/2016 6:40 pm  #4

An example of stealing would be offering Lakota Vision Quests for a fee, for personal gain.

4/06/2016 7:20 pm  #5

yes that would account for it and they have asked for people to leave there practices alone since they have been abused and even resulted in a deaths so I can understand that perspective.  I would have to know how a Lakota vision quest worked to steal it honestly.  It is not a tradition I am familiar with and the limited review information I can find on line merely touches the concept.  That and when some one engages in a vision quest its best to have someone interpret that quest as it is often a strange experience to those that perceive such things for the first time.  

It is hard to convince people why offering a fee or acting and an interpreter for such things is wrong.  Guiding someone on a personal journey should not be used to control or manipulate.  I am not fully aware of the actions that have come from these events.  They are outside of my influence and I generally go to the source if I want to learn more about a tradition.  Even if it takes a while to gain trust from said source.  

4/07/2016 8:35 am  #6

Even Natives can be misguided. The internet has so many different interpretations of native ways. Most based in the Hollywood image of what an "NDN" is. The New Age image is also based on the Hollywood image. Thus real native ways are lost under all this Hollywood influence.

4/07/2016 1:06 pm  #7

I understand that completely.  It is all a mess.  I do not know a real way to fix the mess.  The only path out of it is education, which is complicated by many NDN wanting to keep their traditions in house.  One thought on the process that might be useful is to bring to light some of the older anthropological works, works that already have been published in the public domain.  Have NDN authors work to educate from that perspective and there own perspective.  Since the concepts are already out, hiding them seems counterproductive.  Though what was interpreted incorrectly could be corrected.  It all comes from getting information out there.  Though that might require some healing to be done.  

It gets complicated.  NDN want to protect their ways, makes sense.  They also want to get rid of the Hollywood image, makes sense.  The path that would allow this to happen is often against cultural bans.  The lack of a proper first world internet infrastructure on way too many of the reservations also compounds this issue of removing the information gap.  Those that are potentially most connected to the traditions are isolated from humanities biggest communication tool in this age.

It's a mess I am an outsider, I have ideas on how I would fix the problem, but I am not connected in any way to tribal leadership and some have decided to cut off from outsiders as much as possible in this world we live.  So in the end, it comes down to choices and adaptation.  I do not really think there are any clean answers, life generally forces one into compromises.    I will say I side more on NDN side of this argument then the new agers.  We can agree to be annoyed somewhat by them for a variety of reasons. Though I strive to view things from both sides as much as I can.  

4/08/2016 9:28 am  #8

As I said in my other post, humans are very adaptable. When we adapted money, we adapted the white mans ways. Each generation has their own hair. It has always been that way. The truths of the old ways are still with us. The dance may change but the truths are still with us.

4/15/2016 10:27 am  #9

those are wise words.  Even as the old ways are reawakening in the western world.  They were never completely able to be wiped out.  Such things will resurface as they hold a special truth.  

4/15/2016 6:55 pm  #10

I saw the new Disney movie "Jungle Book", the movie gives a better definition of what a Power Animal is, better than any thing I seen online, or in a book. The movie had a spiritual quality to it. See it in 3D.

Board footera