Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2016 7:32 am  #21

Re: Store bought dream catchers.

The problem is there are over 52,000 people living on Pine Ridge and there is massive unemployment, because of this the rate of Depresion is very high.. Leading to high suicide rates.

Poor conditions on the rez are not addressed effectively by the Ibdian Health Service, the budget is tiny.. When people are reduced to living on food stamps, only certain foods can be obtained and that is high fat high sugar junk.. Even the bread has corn syrup in it,, Result = Diabetes, Heart disease, and Hypertension leading to Stroke . So there is a tendancy to want to drink as a way of blocking out all the fustrations and anger heaped upon them..
Teenage pregnancy rates are high and comtraception is not being taught or provided for..  The teenage suicide rate is higher there than any where else in the USA// They very conveniently seem blind to this..  
   When I raise money fro the 'Friends of the Rez' it is divied between  Lame Deer and the Pine Ridge. Because we try to help them, as the government are not doing ebough..
Ok I will climb down off my high horse now ...

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/19/2016 11:43 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/19/2016 8:21 am  #22

Its the same story back in Canada as well, the Alcohol and drugs problems on many rez's is real bad and little is being done by the government to help sort it out. The amount of missing teenagers that never get found is also a very big issue. Its one reason I wont go back live there at the moment, at least here my kids have a good chance at a rally decent education and start in life. They know there heritage and are proud of it, when they are old enough I will take them back to visit. I do support several causes back home when I can afford to. I couldn't do that back there because there just wasn't the work.

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell......
Spirituality is for those who have already been there......

8/19/2016 8:54 am  #23

On the Navajo Reservation, our towns look like they been teleported from East LA. Booze bottles line the roads leading to non reservation towns, where people can buy more booze. I personally, never followed the road of booze, I do not like the way it makes me feel. Much of this has to do with how parents raise their children. The Navajo reservation is a little more cleaner and modern that the Lakota reservations. Our people do not seem to be as defeated as the Lakota.

Last edited by Thunderbow (8/19/2016 8:57 am)

8/19/2016 9:11 am  #24

I know what you mean Thunder Bow, but it is a big problem.. If there were employment opportunities that would help, but there are none really. 95% unemployment is really the highest ever.

My friends tried to run a business on the rez at Lame Deer, they had a Hair salon with a coffee shop in it..so they had a place to go, get good coffee and talk and maybe get a lift from a haircut..  Of course many chose to drink beer rather than coffee..

I know exactly when we are approaching the rez as theres a whole stretch of road littered with bottles and cans.. The problem is the glass causes fires too..  No one thinks to collect them up and recycle.. It might be a community project that the school kids could do in recess...  It would also highlight the damage that can occur thru forest fires etc..
Our small fund raising 3 years ago raised enough to re equip 12 families who lost everything...

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/19/2016 9:15 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/19/2016 10:38 am  #25

I know a few Natives have tried to leave the reservations because anybody hears the name reservation and they  have their own opinion be it right or wrong so they try to leave to better themselves .but not everyone can do this so its catch 22 situation, what are they supposed to do. I know a few years back now an NDN friend of mine was raising funds to keep a centre open for the kids the first nations in canada it was in danger of closing we all helped by giving what we could and between us we managed to keep it open for a few months more.

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

8/19/2016 11:55 am  #26

My friend from the Rez told me a man donated a small plot of land nerar the rez for building a centre. Jon said it was to be a centre where the children could learn the traditional crafts and skills that in times gone by would have been taught to them by their grandparents.. They then hoped to open a small sales outlet on the Little Big Horn Battlefield to sell their work and earn a little money..  I have not heard from him lately and I wonder how his project is progressing.

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/20/2016 3:34 am)

Nicholas Black Elk

8/19/2016 2:13 pm  #27

The centre i and other gave to was for the Native kids the dances for the pow wows when it rained they had nowhere to go, her grandson was one of those kids.he is older now and he still speaks of the generosity of others for them being able to keep dry,
 he never forgot what people did for him and the others that used the centre

8/20/2016 3:39 am  #28

I assume it rained unexpectedly, the regalia likes to be dry... We get the same problems... One yeat we got hit by a hurricane and the main marquee blew away and all the PA equipment was ruined..The Pow wow had to be abandoned..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/20/2016 3:41 am)

Nicholas Black Elk

8/20/2016 5:35 am  #29

Yes my friend went to see her grandson dance in the pow wow and she said the weather was awful she said the last time she saw it that bad was when she was a child.

8/20/2016 8:59 am  #30

Ours was Hurricane Bertha, the tail end of it and several tents blew away.. The Teepes were fine..

Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera