Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2016 10:53 am  #11

Re: Store bought dream catchers.

I think it is really important to know your heritage.

8/17/2016 1:46 pm  #12

Thunder Bow on your card does it just say Navajo blood or is there  other strains of DNA ?

There is a TV program on uk tv called ' Who do you think you are ?; It brings up some surprising results..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/17/2016 1:47 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/18/2016 8:48 am  #13

I am Navajo of the Tsinijinni clan.

8/18/2016 10:14 am  #14

Ok thanks for that, then,but  isn't that unusual?

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/18/2016 10:16 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/18/2016 12:42 pm  #15

No, not for us Navajo. We identify our self by our clan name. Example: I am of the Tsinajinni Clan (my mothers clam) and from Ashiihii Clan (fathers clan). Tisnajinni = black streak wood clan, Ashshiihi = salt people clan

8/18/2016 3:18 pm  #16

Yes it is an interesting subject.. Tracingones ancestors by standard genealogy methos often come to a halt once parish record are destroyed thru wars etc.. But DNA goes backso much further... I do not know if I would want to know if my genes carroed some deadly disease.. But knowing our real ancestry is a most interesting subjext..     I would quite like to get some answers myself///

Nicholas Black Elk

8/18/2016 5:21 pm  #17

There are some people finding out about their Ancestory through DNA as far as i know it is expensive but it is supposed to be worth it,
there is a condition that is in my family it was only recognised about 13 years ago after my mothers passing.the doctors here didnt know what it was,my aunt passed with the same thing and if the mother had it all the kids had to be tested to,it is called Myotonic Dystrophy type 2 or proms for short.my cousin passed 2 months ago she was in a wheel chair through it i have got 2 sisters both of them have got it,so their kids were tested one sister has got 3 daughters two have got it,
i havent been tested because i told them i havent got it.when they looked through my medical records.they said no you havent because every time i have surgery.i can take the anesthetic people with proms cant it could kill them.i come straight out of anesthetic proms makes it stay in your tissues for about a month,
 it is a neurological disease, and the reson it wasnt seen before was because it is very rare in the uk,
the doctors had to contact the hospitals in the usa to find it,
 so the doctor said you have got to have a link with the usa to have it,well we have, it is a form of muscular dystrophy and it can shorten your life,

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

8/19/2016 2:34 am  #18

I was speaking to someone yesterday and they were saying how alike some kids were to their parents we always say here whats in the tree comes out in the branches. and an apple never falls far from its tree. the genes ae like a root system

8/19/2016 3:50 am  #19

When I was working in the hospitalsI I did come across one or two rare neuro;ogical conditions.  But I have not come across Myoclonic Dystrophy that goes down the maternal line.. I did come across Duchiennes Muscular Dystrophy which only affects Male descendants..  Genetically some times it skips a family member or even a generation..
I have an Inherited Eye condition that my mother had.. Yet her mother did not have it, wellI got it but my two brothers have not and my son is ok too.. So it is strange..  Genetics is a fascinating subject..

You can also link Alcohol Intolerance in First Nations people to genes. Initially the whites plied them with rot gut whiskey and because a pure bred NDN was so affected, as it acted like a poisen on them, the unscrupukous traders could swindle them out of Pelts, Gold etc.       The reason they were so affected was because their body did not carry the enzyme that breaks down the alcohol.. But as there was a merging of genetic material the genes were 'diluted'..  Which is why some NDNs can metabolise alcohol and some cannot..
One of my friends on Lame Deer Rez has part Mexican in his blood line, he says this is why he can drink Tequila without getting drunk, but he doesn't as its a bad example to others..His wife would not be pleased..

Having tasted Tequila myself, I thought it was nasty.. So I am not impressed at all with it..

Nicholas Black Elk

8/19/2016 4:11 am  #20

Yeah I go onto a Native site and the amount of ndns  that have been affected by alcohol is staggering but I think the state of some of the reservations is so bad the see no hope,this is a government problem they put them onto reservations and leave them fall into  disrepair,once they are there they are forgotten about, I know someone who lived on the rose bud rez in California she married a Navajo his family owned a farm in Arizona they moved there she often spoke about the alcohol issues

Board footera