Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2016 4:23 pm  #11

Re: What is a Power Animal? What is a Totem Animal? What is the diference?

I've been chewing over my reply for the last two weeks to see where this go's lol. To me a Totem comes in 2 forms, One comes via your family / clan and your name. The other is one that turns up physically in your life and works and lives with you. This isn't an animal you choose or go and buy, it comes to you often in a strange way and stays in physically in your life.

Its happened several times in my life the most recent was 2 weeks ago when I go into my poly tunnel and the door was closed yet there on the floor was a young adult Jackdaw (  one of the Crow Family) that was a wild bird who of its own choice walked up to me. At first I thought he just wanted letting out so that's what I did shooed him outside, but instead of flying off he just started walking up the mountain to the stable yard. So I figured he couldn't fly but now because i had chased him off he was a bit weary of me. So sensing this I just stopped and hung back, next I know the Jackdaw walks back up to me and as I go to pick it up it jumps on my hand. And this a totally wild bird,

I checked the Jackdaw over and saw he had lost half a wing and the joint so it wouldn't grow back, but the wound was fresh n pretty clean. So I Dr'ed the bird up n cleaned the wound , he just sat there waiting for me to finish, I took him to the vets after that weekend and he's on a course of antibiotics because the bone is exposed and this is to stop a bone infection starting up prior to the wound healing over.

So roll forwards 2 weeks and the Jackdaw is still with me and will remain so for the rest of its life as it'll never fly properly again. The relevant license have been sent off so its all legal for me to keep here.

Now I'm working  spiritually and living with a Jackdaw, who bought me an important message from the Ancestors but that's where I leave it for now as this is a path still yet to be walked.

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell......
Spirituality is for those who have already been there......

4/30/2016 12:51 pm  #12

You have a Kind Heart. The new Disney Movie "Jungle Book" tells what a power animal is, better than what I seen online.I think you will enjoy seeing the movie. It reminds of or the old teaching stories.

7/03/2016 6:25 pm  #13

When I was going through religion after religion and through ways of thought I of course came across spirit animals but not power animals I'm afraid... Nevertheless, I was only slightly influenced by these thoughts about Native American ways and spirit animals. I just knew that I had a connection to the bear. In fact, my grandmother many years ago hand carved a bear from wood and gave it to me. From that day on in 1993 I gave it a special spot in my heart and on my shelf and I'm not one for material things...

Since then, the bear is prominent in my dreams guiding me and always helping me. In fact, when I was in a deep meditation once I felt my left arm/hand turn into a bear paw! That was awesome! The wolf as well, a lot of dreams with the wolf where I once turned into one and ran on all four like one. That was awesome as well!

I just knew/know I had/have a connection to these animals and honestly (back then) I never gave it a second thought about them being associated with Native culture. 

7/04/2016 3:20 pm  #14

Its the Wolf and the crow for me i didnt choose them they choose me,even though i live in the uk the wolf has always been around me,and the same for the crow.

Namaste

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

7/05/2016 10:45 am  #15

For the past month, I been camping out alone. Raven (ga'gii) visits me live, and so does squirrel. I also heard Mountain Lion. The Mountain Lion is one of my Spirit Animals.

7/05/2016 1:19 pm  #16

Do different cultures of Native American peoples have a consistency in their meaning of what the animals mean for them. Like for example, do the Navajo believe that the bear means something different than another tribe might?

7/05/2016 2:10 pm  #17

I do not think there is one set meaning. With the Lakota the Bear means introspection. With my people the Bear can also mean introspection. In personal dreams, the Bear can mean many things.

8/01/2016 3:30 pm  #18

As far as Power animals go the first one I encountered was a Wolf, in fact there was a pack of about 7...I was marooned up a mountain in Iran in the Damavan pass back in 1975.. There were 5 of us on a broken down bus.. We had to periodically venture out in the snow to get snow to melt to make food etc. The others were too scared to get the snow, but I went outside each time and gathered the snow they were maybe 20 fet away from me but did not attack me.. We were stuck up there for 4 days..
Years later one of my guides was drawn for me by a Psychic Artist and he had a necklace of Wolf Claws in a thong around hisneck but oddly on one side... So he too was connected to the Wolf.

I have an Eagle which is associated with my guide.. and also I am connected with the Bear..
I was out in the forest of Sun Peaks in Canada with a park ranger.. We were looking for  Black bears... I found one in the under growth and she made us creep awayas it was too close for comfort lol. Trust me to find it lol.

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/01/2016 3:38 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/01/2016 7:23 pm  #19

One of the best definitions of a Power Animal I seen, is in the 2016 Disney Movie "The Jungle Book". It beats any thing I seen on the internet.

8/02/2016 3:21 pm  #20

I know of the story but have not watched this new version yet.

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/02/2016 3:22 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera