Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2017 11:49 pm  #1

Anyone know anything about the Cherokee?

My grandparents were very interested in the genealogy of our family and as they were piecing everything together (years ago) they came across this woman who was referred to as a "mixed race" from North or South Carolina. I'm going to my parents tomorrow to pick up the finished publication to learn more but I've seen her picture multiple times over the years and she is defiantly wearing Native American garb (from what I do remember).

I did do some research into the Cherokee peoples finding that they were a branch from the Iroquois and that they intermingled a lot with the Irish and Scottish which correlates with the rest of what they have found! One reason I wanted to go back to Ireland and Scotland.

I've always been interested in everything Native American anyway and once I get settled down with a job I plan on obtaining a CDIB application to determine if we really do have Native American ancestry. 

1/24/2017 10:10 am  #2

Re: Anyone know anything about the Cherokee?

You probably have Native Blood in you. Get tested, geneticaly.

1/24/2017 2:56 pm  #3

I know a few Cherokee people and what I have found out is get to know them first don't go in asking questions because you will get no where.it depends what band of Cherokee you are looking into. but like Thunder bow said get tested. and I do know that the Cherokee language is pronounced the same way that welsh is spoken in a lot of words ​there is a lot of celtic  Blood especially in Half blood Natives

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

1/29/2017 4:44 pm  #4

The Cherokee had the first written language of the indigenous tribes.. It is a derivative of Miscogee,  so I am told.. 
North and South Carolina is definately their stamping ground.    Getting a DNA geneology test may give you some answers, but there will always be things you cannot find out..  Good luck in your quest..  If you have photos cherokee dress is rsther different to other tribal dress...

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (1/29/2017 4:47 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera