Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2017 5:59 pm  #11

Re: Hello Everyone!

Star Wolf Medicine Woman wrote:

Well wehope we all put out a good aura.. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
  Tonight is the full moon first of the year 2017 its called a Wolf moon..   I can just about see it here through the clouds.. We had a snowstorm a while ago... Theres nothing better than a cold clear night for Star gazing.

The moon isn't something I know about, that's interesting looking symbolism though, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Astro (1/14/2017 6:04 pm)

1/14/2017 10:45 pm  #12

To my people this is known as KAA - TOO - YII / SNOW BLINDNESS Moon or THE HUNGER Moon / SHARING FOOD Moon. Its th time when the winds are strong and the snow flies preventing hunting hence the sharing of food and names.

The Sai-Ksi-O-Tsi-Tot-Toh-Pi / Geese Comes Moon in March s represented by the Couger or the Wolf it varies bettween bands.. To my band its the Wolf hence I was born at the Wolf Moon in March. This is also the time of the Big Winds when the Wolves howl  and the Geese return so represnting the end of Winter.

Most of the online Native Moon info is dubiouse at best as it dosen't take in to account the fact that there can be many bands within a tribe and these can often have different names and ideas about things.

Take for instance my People traditionaly to us each season has 7 moons or moon aspects and these again varied bettween bands. Seven to my people is sacred.

Many of the online sites were put up by non NDN people who didin't / don't take any of this into account as they don't live with this info which is tied ito our lives on many different levels, even most non traditional NDN have basic aspects of it in there lives..

So my suggestion would be to check with the actual Nations themselves before following any NDN moon calander. That way you stand a chance of getting the right one thats relevent to that Nation / band..

This Is Spot On. Good Post http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/rambo.png

Thanks Thunder Bow

Last edited by Maikan (1/15/2017 5:02 pm)

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell......
Spirituality is for those who have already been there......

1/15/2017 7:11 am  #13

The only reason I mentioned the moon being full etc was from my sailing days as approximately 36 to 48 hours after we experience abnormaly high Tides..I live on the coast and we are at this time of year prone to flooding..Luckily this time around the tidal storm surge didn't happen as the wind was an offshore wind.. 
So my reasons were different to others. As you can see it means different things to different groups and situations..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png
but I always enjoy all information on how other view subject..

Last night I was drumming for a Wassailevent with my friends. It was by the river at night, the stars were out and the moon too..cold and crisp .
It was an Old English pagan ceremony called The Wassail.  The purose is one of ensuring a good crop of apples in the orchard. The owners hung lots  of  colored lights in the trees. .It looked amazing, my friend conducted the blessing of the trees and asked the spirits to protect the trees and fruit from  pests and diseases..  We have to make a lot of noise,  beating of drum (me) and the yells a whoops and someone  has to fire a shotgun into the air.. 
We have a huge fire to warm us and we also have  Morris Dancing group called Black Horse Morris..
The team of about 12 people  have regalia similar to the ndn.   In that this team all wear black hats with a crown of feathers all standing straight up. Their faces are painted divided so the left side is red and the right side is black. The clothing is ornate they have many layer of red and black and yellow and white strips of cloth .. They carry  wooden staves which they use in a symbolic dance for fertilty..  I bet Native Spirit knows what I mean..  Anyway its all to do with ensuring crop fertility for the coming season..  These ceremonies go on for a week.. So I have one on the 22nd to attend too. This one I am just enjoying whilst my friends do the ceremony.

Finally We have another bunch of friends playing Folk,rock music..The band is called Medicine.. It used to be Medicine Wheel..because of their songs about Crazy Horse..  If you are a Youtube surfer you will find them they even have a facebook group.  They made a film of last years  event 'Wassail 2016' if you want to exploree further...  

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (1/15/2017 7:46 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

1/15/2017 8:24 am  #14

Maikan's post is spot on.

1/15/2017 3:50 pm  #15

Yes I know what you mean star.i have to agree that maikans post was right on the money because every tribe has more than one band within it,and each have their own interpretation to it.and that is important to remember that

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

1/15/2017 4:04 pm  #16

Yes I agree, its good there is diversity... I always enjoy reading Maikens posts...

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (1/15/2017 4:06 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

1/15/2017 4:52 pm  #17

Thanks,
Star we hold something simalr  to your Wassail Ceremony at the end of January / begining of Febuary which coinsides with the 1st New Moon of the year hence the dates can vary  slightly yearly. We have a Feast with prayers and music this year a friend has donated an large rib of beef from one of their Young Bulls for the Feast..

Its been hung for just over a month so is going to be one hell of a peice of beef come the feast. I have it hung ain my butchers cold store and its looking very good. Something that will welcome the Spirits of the Ancestors back  from there time away to help protect and watch over us, the animals and the land for the year ahead.

We  always look forwards to this event as to us it marks the  beining of the end of winter and the return of longer daylight hours as well. Its also means that the Ancestors and Spirits are ready for the Medicine Carrieirs to start working with again, for a few months over the depths of winter we do only that which is really needed Medicine work wise as we dont have the back up from the Spirits and the Ancestors that we normally do for the rest of the year.

I'm the Chef for the Ancestors  And Spirits Welcome Back Feast this year and I have to say its something that I really enjoy doing, I've already got the menu lined up with some Venison coming in as well and some Wild Salmon which I will smoke. Should be a good one this year and I can't wait as the last year has been a tough one for so many.

As you say each place and peoples have their own customs, I just thought it would be of interest to some if I shared some of my heritage, and a good place to share some info regarding some of the missinformation on many sites on the internet.

Last edited by Maikan (1/15/2017 4:59 pm)

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell......
Spirituality is for those who have already been there......

1/15/2017 6:02 pm  #18

Yes I know what you mean by misinformation lol..  I think your feast sounds a lot nicer than ours.. We did get a free meal each as the 3 of us did the actual ceremony, but it was basic pub food.. Nothing as amazing as your spread..  Its all about the end of winter and new beginings so I think we are pretty much all on the same page..
I may 'take a rain check' on the next event as according to the weather forecast its set to rain..  I don't mind being cold but cold and wet after  only just begining to feel beter, might not really be a good idea.. It depends on how much is inside and how long we are out in the elements..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (1/15/2017 6:05 pm)

Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera