Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2016 2:59 am  #11

Re: How about a recipe thread...

Hey Running, I am sure others have thought the same as me.. But can you tell us,  what  exactly is
Tri Tip please..  I kmow it is meat of some type, but what, is this a particular cut?

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

10/07/2016 8:54 am  #12

Star Wolf Medicine Woman wrote:

Hey Running, I am sure others have thought the same as me.. But can you tell us,  what  exactly is
Tri Tip please..  I kmow it is meat of some type, but what, is this a particular cut?

Its a popular cut of beef in santa maria ca where im from. Where i grew up barbeque is like a historical culture going back to the ranchers that settled it. So every weekend up and down the main street you see big barbeque pits cooking outside in the parking lots. Its for raising money for different things. Maybe one for school sports, another for 4h, and so on. The cut making tri tip is what everybody barbeques for these events. If you go to the grocery store around here there is always lots of tri tip for sale. They also have pork tri tip.

What i like about tri tip is it is an excellent cut for barbecuing and way cheaper than most other cuts. I currently have a bunch of it cause i found it on sale for $2.95 a pound. So i bought about 15 lbs of it last time i was in town. Almost gome now. Lol

It used to be you could only find it in Santa Maria. Today it can be found in the san Joaquin valley and maybe further out. Maybe other states now. I dont know. Not sure how far it has spread.

Wikipedia says its a bottom sirloin cut of beef.

$2.95 a pound is not a normal cheap price. If i can get it under $4. a pound i consider it worth buying.

The native people here are the Chumash. My girlfriend just got back from a ceremony they did at cachuma lake. They are an interesting and fascinating tribe. Although its not related to the topic of tri tip mention this cause many of y'all on this site are native american. The Chumash had a really good thing going here until all the missions showed up imo. The climate here is easy. The staple was acorns. You got the ocean, and mild rolling hills.

Last edited by running (10/07/2016 10:06 am)

10/07/2016 11:04 am  #13

Thanks so much for theexplanation.. I cannot compare the cost.. Beef is very expensive here in the uk. in fact everything is ..   If we were barbequeing its mainly burgers, sausages and chicken. Steak is soo expensive.. For example just one 4 oz good quality lean burger costs about $2... We have to pay about $8 for a small
6 oz  rump steak...    Rib Eye anf Fillet are the most expensive and I cannot even  look at the packs... Fish is also very expensive  Haddock is about $12 a pound or more.   Even lean beef mince what you call ground round is about $12 a pound or more depending on the source.
The cheapest meat is pork but I do not like it.. We eat a fair bit of chicken a small one of say 1.25 kg is about $5- $7 more if its a Free Range bird ie double..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (10/07/2016 11:20 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

10/07/2016 12:41 pm  #14

Thanks so much for theexplanation.. I cannot compare the cost.. Beef is very expensive here in the uk. in fact everything is ..   If we were barbequeing its mainly burgers, sausages and chicken. Steak is soo expensive.. For example just one 4 oz good quality lean burger costs about $2... We have to pay about $8 for a small
6 oz  rump steak...    Rib Eye anf Fillet are the most expensive and I cannot even  look at the packs... Fish is also very expensive  Haddock is about $12 a pound or more.   Even lean beef mince what you call ground round is about $12 a pound or more depending on the source.
The cheapest meat is pork but I do not like it.. We eat a fair bit of chicken a small one of say 1.25 kg is about $5- $7 more if its a Free Range bird ie double..

I suppose i would consider being a vegetarian if i lived in the uk. The states has a great deal of open land for grazing livestock. Some people say that the us has to much land being used for livestock. And all the cow farts are causing problems in the atmosphere. But as a truck driver it actually looks to me like there is very little livestock compared to how much open land for grazing there is. Even in the central coast its really only here and there with cows.

In any case since the states has an abundant amount of grazing land i believe thats why the prices are low compared to the uk.

10/07/2016 2:20 pm  #15

My grandmother was the one for meat beef pork lamb  chicken you name it she cooked it it was a stable food with with veg for every meal even when she made fry bread, my uncles were all big meat eaters  steak was very common in the house they loved it,
we have a lot of grazing land here cows sheep etc the normal.go about 20 miles you got buffalo farms.

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

10/07/2016 4:49 pm  #16

A lot of our farmers went off raising beef after the Foot & Mouth outbreaks and the ' Mad cow disease thang.. They went Arable... I will be in USA next month so I will make the most of my mates smoker
http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Nicholas Black Elk

10/07/2016 5:53 pm  #17

A lot of our farmers went off raising beef after the Foot & Mouth outbreaks and the ' Mad cow disease thang.. They went Arable... I will be in USA next month so I will make the most of my mates smoker
http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Maybe you can take some smoked meat back with you to the uk. I eat a lot of smoked sausage on the road working.

10/08/2016 2:45 am  #18

Believe it or not there are really strict  regulations now as to what you can take itto the USA and what food stuff you can bring back... Smoked sausage they blamed on some disease recently. I make very good homemade jams and my friends wanted me to bring some. But its not permitted. So I am looking into what I can take them and will just make them something whilstI am there..  I will take them some English tea...
If I make them scones to go with their tea it will be with american flour and its not the same...

I wanted to make a Navajo Fry Bread thus weekend, but you need 'Blue Corn flour'and we cannot get it here, Yellow maize flour is the nearest but it is not the same taste..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (10/08/2016 2:52 am)

Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera