Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2016 7:34 am  #1

How about a recipe thread...

We all have to eat and I am sure we all have a favourute food.. But does every one know how to make it..
I used to enjoy sharing a Navajo Taco with my friend when we were on the Rez..  In fact any chance I got..  So how about sharing a redipe..
Do you know the origins of Fry Bread.. How it is made and why it is still made today..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/03/2016 3:40 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/03/2016 12:26 pm  #2

Re: How about a recipe thread...

Sure I'll share some NDN recipes that we eat here a lot, I'm always on the hunt for new ideas and love to grow n raise, gather or hunt my own food. Most of the veg I grow here is traditional food from back home, I also grow my own Sweet Grass and White Sage and medicinal plants.

I'll write some recipes up over the next while and post them.

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell......
Spirituality is for those who have already been there......

8/03/2016 3:17 pm  #3

That would be great...I grow my own vegetables and some fruit though the birds seem to steal most of it... I'm a bit of a hunter gather type too and do forage when fruit and berries are in season..
I alway have a Sweet grass plait and a bundle of White Sage from the Rez..
Recently I tried to grow Indian Paint brush but the seeds failed to germinate and Utah is a long way to get any more..
We do not have Choke cherries over here either..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/03/2016 3:20 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/03/2016 10:40 pm  #4

Indian Paint bush is an extremely hard plant to grow from seed, It can be done but you have to play around a lot and have a good supply of seed to try. Its a plant that spreads by roots as opposed to seed, hence you see it in big patches in certain areas and not in others in the wild.

I'm trying to locate some seed again to see if I can get it to grow here, I did manage it back at home as we had one area on the ranch were it grew. But it did take a lot of seed and many attempts.

I do have choke cherry's growing but they have only just really poked there heads through the soil, so it will be a while yet to see if they survive, the same go's for the Bear berry.

I have many native corns of many colors growing all of which we eat, the rugrats love the colors of them and I have many types of bean growing here that we also eat that you never see in the EU. At the moment were inundated with Anasazi , trail of tear and pinto beans all of which are exceptionally yum. Were eating some as green beans but I'm leaving some to dry for later.

Then there are the Squashes, Pumpkins, melons, Peppers and chilies all of which you cant get over here so these also taste great and I donate some of the seed to the seed bank here. The purple and red potato's also get the kids going and fascinated in there veg, there hardy and blight resistant but took a while to get going over here and I had to work through a seed bank to get them certificated so that they were excepted here and could be sold. Its illegal to just import potatoes  and grow them here because of the disease issues that they could bring in. There also some of the original varieties of potato hence they are resistant to many thing like blight etc.

All in all though it gets the kids eating and loving there veg and gives them a far wider range of tastes and food experiences. I'm working with the school they go to for next spring to grow some beans and native corns and squashes basically the 3 sisters' for the rest of the kids to take home and grow, its something the principle asked if I'd be interested in helping do. I'll donate the seed and go in for half a day and help them plant them.

There are only 35 children in the school and this is also part of a geography, a science and a history lesson for them. It all came about because my Eldest daughter had to do a history project for school this last year. Everyone did the same few things except my daughter, she did a project on
The Anasazi the supposed lost tribe.

It all came about due to me ending up with an ancient Anasazi pot plus the beans and the corn that we grow. Any how long story short she did a darn good project and got the best marks in the school as she even had me prepare traditional bean and corn dishes to take in for every one to try. Hence the Principle asking me about the seed planting for next year. The things I agree to lol. Ahh it should be a bit of fun as well.

8/05/2016 8:45 am  #5

That is really good , I think we are on a similar path..  When my son was small, we used to keep a few chickens so he had good free range eggs to eat. I had to take one of the hens into school to his class and give a talk about wher our eggs come from.. The children all drew pictures and painted them in, we had to judge the best ones. But we endedup buying a box of 40 chocolate eggs and giving one to each of them as they were all so good..  

This particulat Hen was a celebrity as she laid a giant egg, it had 7 good sized yolks in it.. The News papers came to take pictures and my son posed with a normal egg and this huge one in egg cups and the chicken sitting there looking on.. It made the National dailies and the TV news wanted us to go to London with the chicken and the egg.. I had to declibe as my hubby (now Ex) cracked it and made himself an omelette!!!.....

I think you mst have green fingers to grow all the selection of veg you listed..  The only squash I am growing are Butternut and it was from saved seed too..  I only have a small space but I make good use of it...

Currently I am growing 2 kinds of potatoes not the sweet variety. 3 types of beans and many types of tomatoes, cucumber not very many.. and Aubergines.. I have harvested all my onions and garlic and still have a few carrots to pull. The strawberries were very nice, I am hoping for a second crop.. The cherries and Rasberries were nice but the birds ate most of them.. I did net the tree but they found away in...

Nearby we have wild blackberries but its a bit early yet, also there are a couple of old pear trees a short walk away and if they are around my friend and I do try to pick some.. I made a Pear and Apple preserve with some and my Grape and Blueberry jam is amazing.. I do make my own bread now and then  and pretty much everything else..  I know that tastewise and nutritionwise my food is good...

I still have some of those Indian Paint brush seeds left so maybe I will try again..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/05/2016 8:56 am)

Nicholas Black Elk

8/09/2016 12:15 am  #6

Pm me, if you want and perhaps we can share some seed.

10/03/2016 9:14 pm  #7

Im in love with cooking. After i get off the road truck driving the first thing i want to do is cook.

After all the truck stop eating i feel like i need some good nutrition. Soup i love to make cause i can put all sorts of things in i feel my body needs. Plus heating it all in water releases the nutrients into the broth making it easy to digest.

I also like making fresh juice with a juicer.

I like being creative so i just kinda go by feel. Todays soup. Onion, garlic, cabbage, soup bones, ginger root, potatoes, carrots, leeks, celery, bell pepper, and tri tip(beef).

While the soup is cooking i start making the juice. Watermelon peel, lemon, celery, apples, carrots, parsley and i think thats it. Watermelon peel i found has tons of nutrients and usually just gets thrown away. The red part of the watermelon we eat. So i cut it all out and put it on a plate.

After having a bowl of soup, some juice, and some watermelon i feel revived. So its a lot of fun and healthy to.

Last edited by running (10/03/2016 9:16 pm)

10/04/2016 2:49 am  #8

Sounds good but I do not have a juicer...  I do have a smoothie maker but  its not the same..  I do make soup and [retty much do what you do too.. Am thinking of making a batch of soup today.http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Nicholas Black Elk

10/04/2016 1:51 pm  #9

I used to make all my food from scratch when my husband was alive.spicy carrot soup i liked but made the conventional way add parsley and blend,leave for a day to thicken heat up and eat with hot crusty bread. but my kids wont eat it so i dont bother

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

10/06/2016 9:23 pm  #10

Today i looked to see what i had left to make some dinner. I found some leeks, fresh jalapenos, some elephant garlic, potatoes, and tri tip.

So i cut some of the fat off the tri tip and began cooking the sliced up leeks, elephant garlic, and peppers with it. In another pan i cooked the potatoes with some more of the fat.

Then i cut up slices of tri tip and threw it in my iron skillet with leeks and such. Lots of sea salt for seasoning.

Soon the meat was cooked. So i turned the heat off that stove. After the sliced up potatoes were done i threw a bunch of cheddar cheese on them.

Wound up so good i ate all of it except a bite of tri tip and some potatoes.

I find it fun to just start grabbing whatever is around and see what happens. It was great! And a lot of fun!

Board footera