Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2016 4:53 am  #1

A beef steak and Ale pie..my version.

This is cooked in a Slow Cooker . crockpot,,
You need 500gms or 1 lbs of good quality casserole steak or even chuck steak, cut into small pieces, no fat or gristle please..
1 medium diced onion
3 small carrots peeled and sliced,
a few chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube crumbled
 a good pinch of Mixed Herbs
5ml of Paprika
Salt n' Pepper
150gms of puff pastry  Frozen type but do defrost it lol Domestic goddesses can make their own..
1 500nl bottle of Porter or Guiness or Ale as the cooking liquid.  Sadly the alcohol disappears during the cooking, but it tenderises the steak and imparts a great flavour.

Method..
I use a medium sized pan on the stove top  to brown the meat and onions and then add everything and the bottle of porter and  heat  to a simmer.. I turn on the crock pot and add the whole contents to the crock pot and leave to cook whilst you get on with your life,   lol..  I put this on in the morning then go out .. By the evening you will have an amazing smell to welcome you home..  Here comes the cheat.. I add the casserole to a dish and save some of the cooking liquid ,add 10ml of Corn flour to this to thicken.
Then peel and cook some potatoes and  put the oven on to ore heat to 180c 
You can roll a puff pastry lid to top the pot pie or.. cookthe pastry as a sheet or onto portions  on a baking sheet, bake until golden browm..
If topping with pastry you need to cook for about 25 minutes.
Serve he thicken gravy .. 
It is soo nice and a popular dish in eating houses and pubs all over the UK..  Enyjoy and you can freeze the excess... But it does tend to disappear mysteriously..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (9/23/2016 5:09 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

9/23/2016 2:02 pm  #2

Re: A beef steak and Ale pie..my version.

I used to make all my own pies from scratch pastry included i made all different flavours.but i like the steak pied and gravy but i dont like the taste of the ale.it is very popular in the uk pubs

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

9/23/2016 3:19 pm  #3

Re: A beef steak and Ale pie..my version.

I did cook this today and had some tonight and it was nice, but I have lots left lol if you want some..
It depends which ale you use tbh.. I used a London Porter as I bought it ages ago as my partner liked it... So I was just using it up really.   I have not cooked much lately, I need to be inspired http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera