Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2016 1:06 am  #1

Recipe 1. Whole baked Squash/ Pumpkin garlic n cheese soup.

This is a recipe I was taught many years ago back at home on the rez, Ive adapted it to use a variety of cheeses. Its great with fresh bread on a cold evening by an open fire or when you have friend around to share. Be warned its a rich soup though, Enjoy! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png

Take a whole Pumpkin or Squash, if small you can make individual one's and carefully cut off the top leaving as much of the sides of the pumpkin or squash as you can. Keep the lid as you will need to put this back on when you cook the soup.

Scoop out the seeds  and make sure that you don't pierce the now hollow pumpkin  or squash as this is your bowl that your going to cook the soup in. Make sure you have roasting tins or dishes to stand the pumpkin / squashes in just in case they leak.

Take a block of cheese or your choice Gruyere, Cheddar or Blue cheese work well and grate the cheese.

Depending on how many people your feeding and how many squashes or pumpkins your using you will need to adjust the liquid amounts and  possibly add extra cheese etc. I will do this for  a standard medium pumpkin.

1 pint of chicken stock, I usually make this a bit stronger than usual and add 2 stock cubes but that's down to personal taste.
1 large carton of double or heavy cream
1 pint of milk
Fresh sage leaves a good large handful slightly bruised and quickly fried
4 to 6 cloves of garlic sliced thinly
1 medium onion finely chopped
a good pinch of mixed herbs
A large handful of fresh chopped cilantro ( coriander in the UK)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

I sweat down both the onion and garlic then add the slightly bruised sage leaves to the frying pan and remove from heat when the sage starts to crisp.

Retain some of the crisp sage leaves to add at end.

Put the hollowed out pumpkin / squash into their baking trays and in a moderate oven for about 20 mins to start to roast the flesh temp approx 180 to 200. Put the Pumpkin / squash lid on a separate baking tray at the bottom of the oven to start to cook. ( this needs to still be firm enough for you to place in top of pumpkin / squash.)

Into  a large saucepan goes the stock , cream and milk along with the garlic ,onion, sage , herbs  half the cilantro / coriander and seasoning and start to cook this through, don't boil but adjust your seasoning to taste.

Remove pumpkins / squashes from oven.

Pour the mixture carefully into the pumpkin / squashes. add the grated cheese and and stir mixture carefully inside the pumpkin. You want to stop pouring in the mixture when your about 1 1/2 inches below the top of the pumpkin a bit less if its a smaller squash. Put on the top part of the pumpkin / squash to form a lid.

Put the whole lot back in the oven for another 20 min then carefully test the inside wall  at the top of the pumpkin to see if it is soft. Keep repeating  this every 10 mins until it is, the side will start to sag a little at the top.

When cooked carefully remove the pumpkin / squash from the oven and put on the table ( don't try to remove from the baking tray as it may very well collapse).

Add in remains herbs and any extra grated cheese you wish . Very carefully with a fork tease away some of the squash or pumpkin flesh into the soup, also do this to the underside of the lid and add to the soup mix, stir together and serve in bowls with some of the crisped sage leaves on top.

It sounds really fussy but its simple to make and well worth the effort taste wise. Enjoy.

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell......
Spirituality is for those who have already been there......

8/09/2016 12:46 pm  #2

Re: Recipe 1. Whole baked Squash/ Pumpkin garlic n cheese soup.

Thanks sounds pretty good to me..  Currently I have 3 flowers on my Butternut Squashes, so it will be a while before I can make this.... Lol  Pumpkins are very seasonal here and only on sale in Halloween time...
A good time to make it I guess...  Pity I live alone   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/sad.png
  I think I'd have to scale it down some..  Thanks..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/09/2016 1:21 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/09/2016 1:07 pm  #3

The beauty of it is this soup freeze's really well, so you can make a batch and freeze some of it for later.

Last edited by Maikan (8/09/2016 2:39 pm)

8/09/2016 2:11 pm  #4

Sounds really nice will make some of that

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

9/02/2016 2:48 pm  #5

When I was away last week we got given a Spaghetti squah to tale home.. So I wondered if you bake those too..??

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

9/03/2016 12:26 am  #6

Yeah you do and there one of my faves, cut in half longways n remove the seeds. ( I  clean , dry n save them to replant next yr). Now at this stage to speed up the cooking you can part boil them or you can just put them in for a bit longer to roast. Dot some butter in the squash and bake until soft. Then remove from oven and scrape out the flesh which will come out in strings like spaghetti. mix in some more butter, salt n pepper n enjoy.

9/04/2016 7:34 am  #7

I will give that a go thanks.. Currently I'm using aubergines and I did cook a big batch of Moussaka..
Its just lately I have been too busy to do much cooking.. Having the space in my freezer is the hardest thing as I froze a lot of tomatoes and beans..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Nicholas Black Elk

9/04/2016 2:03 pm  #8

Star Wolf Medicine Woman wrote:

I will give that a go thanks.. Currently I'm using aubergines and I did cook a big batch of Moussaka..
Its just lately I have been too busy to do much cooking.. Having the space in my freezer is the hardest thing as I froze a lot of tomatoes and beans..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

I love aubergines, you can also make aubergine pesto or as a hummus type dip too when they are roasted.

9/16/2016 6:02 pm  #9

Brewis Caws this is excellent for bad stomaches my dad used to make it for us as kids it translates into cheese Broth
1 boil the kettle for boiling water
2 put one slice of bread no butter cut up into pieces into a bowl
3 add a small drop of butter if you wish
4 add boiling water over the bread.add pepper
5 then add cheese crumbly cheese is best
6 let is melt into the water in the bowl on top of everything else
7 whilst still hot get a spoon and eat it.
it is lovely and very good for bad stomaches sickly feelings etc

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

9/19/2016 10:50 am  #10

Maverick wrote:

Star Wolf Medicine Woman wrote:

I love aubergines, you can also make aubergine pesto or as a hummus type dip too when they are roasted.

I know about the aubergine dip etc but they need to be a bit bigger for ne to harvest them.. I am looking at them every day  , but the frost might get them so will need to clear a space in my greenhouse for them in the hope I can give them more time to grow..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (9/19/2016 10:51 am)

Nicholas Black Elk

Board footera