Hanblecheya

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2016 8:51 am  #1

What is the difference between a practitioner and a healer?

When I lived on a spiritual retreat (which I use the term loosely) I met a few people who said they were Shamanic Practitioners, but when I queried them as to what they did exactly, none would be forthcoming.

Personally i can't see a huge difference between the two 'titles' because to me either you are a Shaman or not. Those who practice healing techniques can't call themselves Shamans but practitioners, or have I got it wrong? I would be very direct and ask them what they did and all they did was change the topic. Perhaps these people are faux, but that tarnishes the very nature of shamanism when people do this or say they are certified and trained by x.

Last edited by Maverick (8/13/2016 8:52 am)

8/13/2016 9:29 am  #2

Re: What is the difference between a practitioner and a healer?

From my understanding a shayman heals through the spirit,some people do it and don't call themselves anything at all again from my understanding,that is through respect,

The spoken word always comes back as whispers in the wind.

8/13/2016 9:46 am  #3

In order to heal one must want to heal. The Shaman is only a guide. The rest is up to the one who seeks healing from the shaman. They must take an active part in their healing process.

8/14/2016 11:00 am  #4

I understand what you are all saying.. In order to be a 'Practitioner' in any field of expertise this implies 'Training and a conclusion to that training..
To be a 'Practitioner' in my case took many years of study and practice.. I am not a Shamanic Healer, but am a registered Practitioner in Reiki Healing to Master level...    I would answer honestly if I was asked,so it seems rather odd that these ?? 'Practitioners' seem unable to talk to you about their work...

I have a friend who is a 'Shamanic Practitioner', but then he also describes him self a 'Light Worker' and an 'Earth Angel'  !!!  So for each answer begins another set of questions..http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/14/2016 11:04 am)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/14/2016 11:29 am  #5

Being a Shaman is more of a calling, than something you train for. Some Shamans are not always comfortable with this calling.

8/14/2016 1:58 pm  #6

That is the way i have always understood it to be

8/15/2016 12:48 pm  #7

But you need to beware of the Plastic Shamans as some people are not always what the say they are..

Last edited by Star Wolf Medicine Woman (8/15/2016 12:49 pm)

There is a good way,  a bad way, and a better way.  For my path, I choose the better way..
Nicholas Black Elk

8/16/2016 4:41 pm  #8

Generally , speaking shamans use spirits to heal and practitioners use techniques developed over the years to heal.  The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.  A combination of the two is possible and quite effective.  Using a combination of spirits, various healing techniques from around the world and medical knowledge you can create powerful effects.  Not everyone has access to all the above. 

Now into the original question, there is not real difference conceptually from a healer and a practitioner, each is using some sort of force to heal or create the desired effects.  Were that power comes from is often different as each person interacts with the unseen world differently.  The concept of being a practitioner means one has training in a concept. this concept is vast and not well documented.  Which comes from the nature of the individual and the traditions they are connected with.  

A shamanistic calling creates access to the spirits all around us that can guide and assist.  A natural aptitude with unseen forces that can be used to heal and for a variety of effects.  Spirits come with personalities and demands.  Some major, some minor.  It depends on the spirit and the level of service.  Spirits can teach gifts and those gifts can be taught to others, though I have found the process to be slower than the direct training from a spirit skilled in the aspect one is being taught.  

I would hazard to argue that the shaman is the natural talent that brings in these skill sets from the source and can if willing or allowed, teach these concepts to others, which creates practitioners.  This underplays the concepts, but it is a point of discussion and thought that is interesting to ponder.    

8/16/2016 5:10 pm  #9

I am a spiritual Healer but the most important eliment is the person being given the healing they have got to want it,if they are open to it,then it is more likely to work,
i am just the vesil in which my guides work they are the ones that do the healing, when i first started healing it just happened my hands were and still are always hot, because some call it hand healing.
but your guides are the ones that have to do the healing,because if you dont you can find yourself getting exhausted because you are using your own energy,
and the results can differ

8/16/2016 5:27 pm  #10

yeah, I divide the concept into three general categories.  Instinctual, intellectual and emotional.   Many people fall under the instinctual route.  Things came naturally, they were drawn into it.  Those that are intellectually functional are taught.  Those that are emotionally driven use empathy and other concepts.  It breaks down how to teach people in general.  I really need to expand that concept out more in writing.  I have been working on it over the years.  But by looking at how a person grasp things, it is very beneficial to teaching a wide range of people.  

Personally, I use a lot of my own energy, but I have developed that energy to high levels.  Though I use guides to aid in things and to maintain effects long term.  At some point I have learned to become the mananger so to speak and make sure long term effects are running smoothly and tweak things as needed.  20 years of practice and I have become rather adept at the concept.  I tend to be equally set up in the three categories though, which makes me able to come at things from a lot of perspectives.  That and years of refinement of those techniques and energy building meditation, physical exercises and breathing training to boost energy levels.  I can give a much more detailed explanation of the concept if needed.  But I am bit pressed for time tonight.  

Board footera